Ward helps reduce the environmental impact of food waste by collecting and transferring it to nationwide Anaerobic Digestion facilities that convert the waste into renewable energy (biogas) and other useful products.
The UK wastes the equivalent to 1.3 billion meals each year.
Food waste comes 21% from spoilage; 45% from food preparation and 34% from consumer plates, on average.
Only 12% of all food waste is recycled.
The cost of not recycling your food waste
When you add the cost of landfill taxes and the continuous rise in haulage costs not handling your waste properly can be costly. Complete our free waste audit for a tailor made quote.
Meeting the food safety standard
As well as the importance of recycling, there are hygiene issues to consider to avoid illness and control pests. The Food Standards Agency sets out guidelines for disposing of food waste, including:
- Removing waste and other rubbish from rooms where food is present as quickly as possible, to avoid build up
- Putting waste and other rubbish in suitable containers that can be closed and easily cleaned
- Providing adequate facilities for storing and disposing of food waste and other rubbish. Stores for waste must be designed and managed in a way that enables them to be kept clean and, where necessary, free of animals and pests.
Solutions to suit your business
At Ward we offer a range of waste management services to help you manage your waste in line with Food Standards Agency requirements, including:
- Bag collection
- General waste collection
- Glass, plastic and metal collection and recycling
- Redundant and damaged equipment removal and recycling
- Dry mixed recycling
Contact our Professional Services team for a tailor made solution for your business on 0345 337 0000 or complete our contact form and one of the team will get back to you.