Overview of the role:
Hours and location: Mondays to Fridays.
The role will be based in Ilkeston.
WARD have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Transport Manager to join our team based at our Ilkeston site DE7 4BG supporting the Senior Transport Manager and wider team.
As Transport Manager, you will be working closely with the management team and will be responsible for managing the execution, direction, and coordination of all transport matters within your site. This includes organising transport plans, ensuring that vehicles are safe and meet legal requirements, and making sure that drivers and staff are aware of their duties.
You will be responsible for coaching, mentoring, and leading your Operational team to improve P&L and service quality and maintain legal compliance within the depot. Immediate role focus will be to refine and simplify current ways of working to ensure efficient running of your operation. This will be achieved by developing a continuous improvement culture via engagement and people focus across all aspects of depot operations.
- Managing full depot improvements within the depot and operation
- Ensuring the transport team contribute to the long-term resource planning of the site
- Leading and motivating staff through positive employee engagement
- Drive a high-performance culture by effective communication
- Capture training needs of employees and ensuring solutions are in place
- Set agreed and clear objectives with all operational staff, regularly monitoring performance
- Responsible for ensuring that their Transport team collaboratively engages to ensure compliance including resource planning and cost-effective utilisation of all drivers and equipment
- Has overall responsibility to ensure all vehicles and trailers are compliant with legal, regulatory and contractual requirements and where necessary, identifying issues and ensuring resolution has been put in place
- Seeks to understand the wider business objectives and in line with this, looks for ways in which to reduce cost and improve service
- Build constructive working relationships with supplementary business departments
- Manages the operations for current and future demands
- Foster a positive working relationship with external suppliers to maximise business benefit
Skills and Knowledge Required:
As the successful candidate for the Transport Manager you will have proven track record in a similar role within the transport and logistic industry and hold a Transport Manager CPC National / International Qualification. You will have an excellent working knowledge of EU driver hours and WTD Legislation, as well as excellent working knowledge of Tachograph legislation.
- Have excellent IT and analytical skills
- Be a strong, empowering people manager
- Have excellent organisational and communication skills
- Have a proven track record of working towards KPIs
What is in it for you?
We offer a diverse role with the opportunity to develop your skills and experience, the ability to work on your own initiative and be part of a busy team. A company car will also be included in the role.
- Company Car
- Access to Re-WARD Benefits Platform – Leisure, shopping, retail and holiday discounts, discounted gym membership, and lots more!
- Refer a friend scheme
- Continuous training and development opportunities
- Employee assistance programme
- Company Pension and life assurance
Today Ward Recycling has an annual turnover in excess of £400m, employs over 450 people and operates a fleet of over 120 vehicles. The company is now managed by third and fourth generation family members who continue their commitment to developing waste management and recycling techniques, saving their customers money and helping them to meet and exceed their recycling targets. As a modern business, Ward are aiming to be a positive force in the world. We believe that if we treat our customers, partners, staff and neighbours with respect and dignity, we will succeed in both our business and sustainability goals. As a waste management and resource recycling specialist, the environment is close to our hearts.
We are committed to delivering market-leading performance on key environmental issues in our business, with our customers, our supply chain, and our end consumers.
Do you want to be part of a fast-growing company with a sense of purpose, committed to developing waste management and recycling techniques with an environmental conscience?
Please send your CV along with a covering letter outlining your suitability for the role to Katie Brown, HR Manager: [email protected]Back to vacancies